[ Home ] FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • To apply for a Canadian study permit, the applicant must:
  • Obtain a letter of acceptance from a college approved by the Government of Canada as a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
  • Hold a valid passport or other authorized travel documents
  • Obtain proof of sufficient funds for living and studying in Canada (and all related student fees).
  • To be medically or criminally admissible to Canada.
  • Prove that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires.

International graduates who apply for a PGWP before the expiry of their study permit are able to begin legally working in Canada as soon as they apply their PGWP. These candidates do not need to hold a Canadian work permit while they await a decision on their application for a PGWP. If your student permit has expired, you may be eligible to restore your status and apply, provided you have only been out of status for less than 90 days.

You might be qualified to work in Canada while studying assuming your study permit incorporates a condition that says you can work on or off-campus. You should likewise meet the wide range of various prerequisites. You can begin working in Canada when you start yourprogram. You can’t work before your education start.

You can work:

  • Off-Campus
  • As a co-op student or intern
  • After your graduation

Yes. In any case, your study permit isn’t a travel permit. It doesn’t give you the option to venture out to or enter Canada. Alongside your study permit, you might require:

  • a visitor visa (temporary resident visa) or
  • an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Depending upon where you’re from, you may just need your identification. Ensure you realize which record you want to head out to and enter Canada.

Having the travel documents doesn’t ensure you’ll be permitted once more into Canada. You actually should show the boundary administrations official that you meet every one of the prerequisites before we’ll let you reappear.

You don’t have to change your study permit in the event that you’re changing your study program. But you need to tell CIC that you have changed the college by updating the DLI.

To extend the permit, the international student must submit an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to extend their stay in Canada as a student. The Canadian government requires that most temporary residence applications made from within Canada be made through electronic application, including:

  • All applications for extensions of temporary resident status made from within Canada
  • All applications for extensions of temporary resident status made from within Canada
  • All applications for renewals of study or work permits made from within Canada

The super visa allows you to visit your children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time. The visa allows multiple entries for a period of up to 10 years.

  • The sponsor promises that they will support their parents or grandparents during their entire stay in Canada, and
  • Proof that their income meets or is above the low-income cut-off (LICO) for the total number of people, including the visiting parents or grandparents.

You need to be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada. And you should have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada that includes:

  • a promise of financial support for the length of your visit
  • the list and number of people in the household of this person
  • a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
  •    -valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
  •    -at least $100,000 coverage
  •    -have proof that the medical insurance has been paid (quotes aren’t accepted)

To be able to work on your school campus, without a work permit, You must:

-Be a full-time post-secondary student at a 

  • public post-secondary school, such as a college, university, trade or technical school, or CEGEP in Quebec
  • private post-secondary school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools in Quebec
  • private or public secondary or post-secondary institution in Quebec offering qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer leading to a diploma of vocational studies (DVS) or an attestation of vocational specialization (AVS)
  • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, associate degree, bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or doctorate), but only if the student is enrolled in a study program leading to a degree authorized by the province. This may not include all programs of study offered by the private institution.

-Have a valid study permit, and

-Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

You can apply only if, 

  • you have a valid study permit
  • work is required to complete your study program in Canada
  • you have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degree, and
  • your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program

Your spouse or common-law partner may qualify for an open work permit if:

  • have a valid study permit
  • are eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) and
  • are a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
    -a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    -a private college-level school in Quebec
    -a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law

Your spouse or common-law partner’s work permit will be valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

To become a Canadian citizen, most applicants must

  • be a permanent resident
  • have lived in Canada for at least 3 out of the last 5 years (1,095 days)
  • have filed your taxes, if you need to
  • pass a citizenship test
  • prove your language skills in English or French

A PGWP is an open work permit available to international graduates from eligible Canadian
educational institutions. It allows the holder to work for any employer anywhere in Canada.

A PGWP cannot be renewed beyond the maximum duration allowed according to the holder’s study program. When a PGWP is about to expire, the holder must apply for a different permit or visa if he or she wishes to continue working in Canada.

Your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score can be calculated using an online tool provided by the Government of Canada. Canada's immigration system uses a points-based system to assess and rank your profile in the Express Entry pool. Factors assessed include:
● Skills
● Education
● Language
● Work experience

For foreign nationals to be allowed to work in Canada, they need to obtain a work permit. Sometimes, you may be able to work in Canada without a work permit.

There are two types of work permits:

● Openwork permit: This permits you to work for any Canadian company, though you can only get one in specific situations.
● Employer-specific work permit: A closed work permit specifies the name, location, and duration of your work authorization.

Individuals from other countries can also legally work in Canada by applying for International Experience Canada (IEC), which is also known as a Working Holiday Visa. Visit the government website to discover more about IEC, check eligibility, and find out about processing times and fees.

Students from abroad may also be eligible to work in Canada. There are some study permits that allow you to work on- or off-campus while in school. In either case, you'll need an entry-level work permit or a Post-graduate Work Permit (PGWP) to work in Canada after you graduate.

Citizens from the countries listed in the Country List "A", the following writing (Removal of U.S. Entry Visa Requirements for Certain Permanent Residents of Canada), must submit a non- refundable $100 filing fee along with their application to a U.S. consulate. First-time applicants, with the exception of children under 16 and elders over 60, who hold diplomatic status, will likely be required to attend a personal interview. The visa once issued, will be valid for a period of five to ten years.

Landed immigrants in Canada holding passports from Country List “B” of the writing do not require visas to travel to the United States because their countries of origin have reciprocal visa-waiver agreements with the U.S.

The Comprehensive Ranking System is the government of Canada’s internal mechanism for ranking candidates based on their human capital, determined by factors such as age, level of education, and language ability.

This helps to enable Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC, formerly known as CIC) to decide which candidates may be issued invitations to apply for permanent residence. There are up to 600 points available under the system for a candidate’s core human capital and skills transferability factors.

There are three broad categories or routes to obtaining permanent residence: the economic class, the family class (which requires sponsorship by a Canadian or permanent resident relative), and the refugee category. There is also a discretionary route to permanent residence through humanitarian and compassionate applications. Contact us to find out whether you qualify in one of these categories.