Canada welcomes more than 300,000 foreign workers every year. There are 2 types of work permits: Employer-specific work permit, and Open work permit.

Employer-specific work permit

An employer-specific work permit lets you work in Canada according to the conditions on your work permit, which include:

  • the name of the specific employer you can work for
  • duration of your work
  • the location where you can work (if applicable)

Before you submit your application, the employer hiring you must obtain and give you either a copy of a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or an offer of employment number to include in your application.

Open work permit

You can only get an open work permit in specific situations.

Types of work permits:

Post-Graduation Work Permit

  • You are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWP)

Spousal Open Work Permit

  • You are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student.

Bridging Open Work Permit

  • You applied for permanent residence in Canada and are waiting for the results of your permanent residence application.
You may also be eligible for an open work permit if you:
  • are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
  • have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
  • are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
  • are under an unenforceable removal order
  • are a temporary resident permit holder
  • are a young worker participating in special programs

Our Services

We are committed to helping our clients succeed. Contact us for professional advice.